Also available as an audiobook!
Listen to an excerpt, narrated by Ellen Archer.
Also available as an ebook!
The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Differences
1st edition 1998 — The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Integration Dysfunction (Perigee)
2nd edition 2005 — The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder (Perigee)
3rd edition 2022 — The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Integration Differences (TarcherPerigee)
The Out-of-Sync Child has been:
- Translated into many foreign languages
- Awarded Exceptional Parent magazine’s Symbol of Excellence
- Selected as one of Brain, Child magazine’s top 10 books about parenting children with disabilities
- Selected as one of 19 books that librarians say changed their lives
- Featured in Oprah magazine as one of the books that made a difference to Rachel Griffiths
- Mom’s Choice Gold Award Winner 2022
This is the third edition of the ground-breaking 1998 book that introduced Sensory Processing Disorder (or Differences) — known as SPD — to parents, teachers, and other non-specialists. In easy-to-understand language, the book explains SPD, a common and frequently misdiagnosed condition in which a child’s (or adult’s) central nervous system misinterprets messages coming from the person’s body and surrounding environment. The new edition expands information on treatments, especially occupational therapy, and on coexisting and “look-alike” disorders, such as learning disabilities, ADHD, and autism.