STAR Institute for Sensory Processing
Serving children and adults with disordered sensory processing and their families by leading the field in sensory health and wellness through treatment, research, and education. STAR Institute is the world’s most comprehensive and accurate (research-based) source of information about sensory integration and processing from each of its three centers:
STAR Institute — Treatment Center
The premier treatment facility for children, adolescents, and adults who have differences in sensory integration and processing. The Center provides sensory-informed therapeutic support for disordered sensory processing and/or other developmental and behavioral differences that include significant sensory issues. Neurodivergent populations commonly supported include those with autism, ADHD, disordered sensory processing (SPD), anxiety, auditory processing disorders, motor coordination difficulties, and other developmental, learning, mental health, and behavioral differences.
- Multidisciplinary evaluations offered by a team including Physician, psychologist, OT, speech and language pathologist, feeding therapist, mental health counselor, and family functioning support professional.
- Evidence-based OT with a focus on regulation, relationships, and sensory integration clinical reasoning.
- Unique STAR “Intensive-Burst” treatment model developed by Dr. Lucy Jane Miller that offers five-day-a-week, short-term therapy for out-of-town families.
- Extensive parent education, family support, and coaching offered individually and in groups, integrated into the child’s holistic treatment program.
- Family training in problem-solving so parents can integrate therapeutic ideas into daily life to reinforce the benefits of direct intensive therapy.
- Treatment collaboration with a full suite of professionals, including speech/language therapy, pediatrics, psychology, and parent counseling.
- Therapies including the family-centered Sequential Oral Sensory (SOS) approach to feeding; Integrated Listening Systems (iLs); and developmental, individual differences, and relationship-based approach (DIR/Floortime).
- Adult and adolescent treatment offered by a specialty team, often using a consultation model with short-term advice and support that is especially useful for out-of-town clients. Often the evaluation is in person with short-term treatment options and follow-up by Zoom or other online methods.
- National SPD Treatment Directory—listing for treatment providers who are experienced in working with people with disordered sensory processing. This directory is free, both for providers to register and for parents to search. The categories include:
- Eye Care Professional
- Mental Health Professional
- Occupational Therapist
- OT Clinic
- Physical Therapist
- Speech-Language Pathologist
- Community Resource Facility
STAR Institute — Research Center
Serving children with disordered sensory processing and their families by leading research to advance the diagnosis and treatment of disordered sensory processing.
- Research—full-time program of SPD scientific study, directed by Sarah Schoen, PhD, OTR/L
- Library of Research—hundreds of SPD publications, free and accessible online
- Research mentorship courses and 1:1 consultations available
STAR Institute — Education Center
Providing resources and education for families, therapists, educators, and physicians to expand knowledge, foster awareness, and promote recognition of sensory health and wellness. Education opportunities include:
- Online Learning—over 70 online courses, as well as monthly webinars
- Subscription—unlimited access to the majority of Online Learning courses and other benefits (for an annual fee)
- Intensive mentorships—online, hybrid, and small-group, in-person training opportunities for professionals
- Intensive school-based courses—small-group, online training for school-based OTs and OTAs
- STAR Proficiency Certification—online courses through Temple University
- Annual international symposia and workshops
- Workshops and speaking engagements in various locations all over the world (AOTA CEUs available)